Rissa on PhotoPeach

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Blogs in Education

I was browsing through my blackboard account, looking at the assignments for this class, and realized that I did not complete this assignment! Oopsers! Anywho, I think blogs in education are both good and bad. I think that teachers should be aware and up to date with technology so that they can better understand and relate to their students.

On the other hand, there are inappropriate situations that can arise. For example, many students are now on the popular website, Myspace. I have a friend who is already a teacher. Up until recently he also had a Myspace account. The administration brought it to the teacher's attention that students were accessing teachers' pages, and that some of the content the students were looking at was inappropriate. (I.E. alcoholic beverages, club pictures, inappropriate language, etc.) He deleted his page shortly thereafter.

I think there is a fine line that comes into play when dealing with internet usage and classroom settings. While teachers should be internet savvy and bring technology into the classroom, teachers should be wary of using sites like Myspace or Facebook and posting objectionable material when students are so capable of accessing these materials.

Thats all for today!
Rissa

No comments:

Post a Comment